The 2020 Eurovision Song Contest for 2020 has been canceled due to the coronavirus outbreak, the organizers said Wednesday.
"It is with deep regret that we have to announce the cancellation of the Eurovision Song Contest 2020 in Rotterdam," they said in a statement. "It is impossible to continue with the live event as planned."
The annual competition had been due to take place on May 12.
Signs that the international competition would be affected came earlier this month, when the heads of Israel's Eurovision delegation said it was skipping a meet and greet ahead of the competition to coronavirus concerns.
According to the Israeli Public Broadcasting Corporation (KAN), which is responsible for all things Eurovision in Israel, the delegation cancelled its flight to Rotterdam in order to comply with the Health Ministry directives against flying abroad expect in the case of an emergency.
Since then, many countries have implemented strict measures in an effort to contain the virus, shutting their borders and even advising citizens to remain at home unless absolutely necessary.
The Netherlands was due to host the competition after its 2019 entry Duncan Laurence won the contest in Tel Aviv.
Israel was set to send its first ever competitor of Ethiopian origin, 19-year-old Eden Alene, who won the chance to represent her country after winning the “The Star is Born” reality singing competition in February.