Oprah used them, Clooney cut them off: How Harry and Meghan lost Hollywood’s inner circle

She allegedly accused Victoria Beckham of leaking stories to the press, Serena Williams reportedly grew tired of the constant drama and George Clooney stayed loyal to the king; as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s celebrity circle continues to shrink, insiders are pointing the finger at Meghan

|Updated:
Eight years ago, on May 19, 2018, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were married, much to the displeasure of Prince William, Kate Middleton and other critics. The perceived disparity began even then: while the wedding day of the Prince and Princess of Wales was declared a public holiday, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s wedding day was treated as an ordinary workday, albeit a more festive one.
The royal wedding took place at St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle. Then-Prince Charles escorted Markle down the aisle, Prince William served as Harry’s best man, and the couple carefully selected the royal children who would accompany them during the ceremony. One of them was, of course, Princess Charlotte, and the drama surrounding the dress Middleton chose for her continues to make headlines years later.
9 View gallery
מייגן מרקל
מייגן מרקל
Meghan Markle
(Photo: Charles McQuillan, GettyImages)
About 600 guests attended the wedding, most of them described as close friends of the royal couple — and, in fact, they are the reason we are gathered here today. Among the famous guests were George and Amal Clooney, Victoria and David Beckham, Oprah Winfrey, Serena Williams and, naturally, Markle’s former co-stars from “Suits.”
Now, around the time of the Sussexes’ wedding anniversary, insiders say many of those friends have cut ties with them — and, according to the reports, the main reason is none other than Markle herself.

'Harry and Meghan have fallen out with so many powerful people'

Six years and five months have passed since the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced they were stepping back from royal duties and embarking on an independent path. Immediately after the bombshell announcement was posted on social media, Markle boarded a flight to Canada while Harry remained in Britain and absorbed the backlash.
A few months later, the couple settled in Los Angeles, where they attempted to begin a new chapter in their lives, explaining that they wanted privacy and the ability to live quietly and peacefully. Since then, however, the pair have given interviews to Oprah Winfrey, released documentary series, published books and seemingly done everything possible to ensure they would not have even a shred of privacy left. Their dream of becoming Hollywood power players, critics say, also failed.
“Harry and Meghan have fallen out with so many powerful players in the entertainment industry that it feels like they’ve burned every possible bridge,” journalist Alison Boshoff said. “At the same time, Harry and Meghan never think the estrangement is their fault. They don’t understand it. They never think they’re the problem.”
9 View gallery
הנסיך הארי ומייגן מרקל
הנסיך הארי ומייגן מרקל
(Photo: Chris Jackson/Getty Images)
Immediately after leaving royal life, Harry and Meghan received overwhelming support from Hollywood celebrities. Winfrey was the first to give them a platform. In the sensational interview they gave her in March 2021, the couple spoke about the allegedly terrible treatment they received from the palace.
“I didn’t do any research about the royal family or the palace. I went into this naively,” the duchess said tearfully. Markle said she had initially been warmly welcomed by Queen Elizabeth II, but added that things became more difficult leading up to the wedding.
“I did everything they told me to do, and they promised they would protect me,” Markle said. “Things really started to worsen when I realized not only was I not being protected, but they were willing to lie to protect other family members. They were unwilling to tell the truth to protect me and my husband.”
During the same interview, Markle accused the royal family of racism and shared that she had experienced suicidal thoughts, while Harry sat beside her nodding in agreement.

'Everyone avoids them like fire. No one wants to spend time with Meghan'

Questions have long been raised about how the friendship between Oprah and Meghan began. Now, insiders claim there was never really a friendship at all. In fact, Markle reportedly met Winfrey for the first time at the wedding itself.
According to sources, Winfrey acted strategically. Once Harry and Meghan’s relationship became serious, Oprah allegedly began making efforts to get close to Markle’s mother, Doria Ragland.
“She did everything she needed to do to secure an exclusive interview with Meghan and Harry,” insiders claimed. And indeed, Winfrey landed an interview beyond anything she had imagined.
“Meghan tried to maintain the relationship with Oprah and visited her home several times,” one source said. “But they’re nowhere near as close as they used to be. Not at all.”
9 View gallery
אופרה ווינפרי
אופרה ווינפרי
Oprah
(Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)
Paula Froelich, a journalist and broadcaster said to be close to Winfrey’s circle, shed more light on the matter.
“The truth is Oprah has been hovering around the Sussexes for quite a while,” Froelich said. “She can’t let them drift too far away because if something happens — one of the three big things: divorce, death or drama — she’ll want the first interview. But she’s not really their friend, not even close.”
Beyond the desire to secure the first interview, Froelich claimed that “no one wants a long-term partnership with the Sussex brand or the people behind it. Everyone avoids them like fire. No one wants to spend time with Meghan.”
“There are many reasons for the distance from Meghan,” Froelich added, referencing recent rumors that Markle may launch her own fashion line. “She could literally sell clothes while using celebrities’ names.”
She pointed to Markle wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the word “Mama” during a February visit to Australia. The shirt is sold through OneOff — dubbed “the Spotify of fashion” — a platform Markle reportedly promotes in exchange for commissions on sales.
9 View gallery
מייגן מרקל
מייגן מרקל
(Photo: Asanka Ratnayake/Getty Images)
“I can already imagine how it will look,” Froelich said. “Meghan could genuinely market clothes under bizarre headlines like, ‘Here’s what to wear to visit Oprah Winfrey.’ That could absolutely happen.”

'Oprah likes people only when they have something to offer'

“Oprah’s image was damaged by her connection to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, especially Meghan,” Froelich concluded. “The 2021 interview was so soft and accommodating that since then she’s been perceived as a sycophantic, unprofessional interviewer.”
Since that interview, the growing distance between the two women has reportedly become visible. In September 2022, following the death of Queen Elizabeth II, Winfrey was asked about the future of family relations between the Sussexes and the royal family.
“I think in all families, when everyone gathers for a common ceremony such as burying the dead, there’s an opportunity for reconciliation,” Winfrey said. “I hope that will happen in the royal family as well.”
Another source close to Winfrey summarized the situation more bluntly: “At the end of the day, Oprah likes people only when they have something to offer. That’s the truth.”

'We all remember how Diana’s story ended'

One of the celebrities who rushed to Markle’s defense during the palace drama was actor George Clooney, who spoke to Who magazine about what he described as the excessive persecution of Markle, comparing her to Princess Diana.
“Everyone is chasing Meghan endlessly and for no reason,” Clooney said. “They’re treating her exactly the way they treated Princess Diana.”
Clooney added a warning: “We all remember how Diana’s story ended, in a fatal car crash caused by the media. There’s no doubt history is repeating itself.” Now, some speculate Clooney may regret those comments. Other famous friends of Markle joined Clooney in defending her at the time.
“To stand up against the worldwide bullying directed at her is not easy,” one source said. “Meghan sits quietly and doesn’t respond to all the lies and terrible stories about her. We’re very worried about her and about what this is doing to her and her children. It’s not right to treat anyone this way.”
9 View gallery
ג'ורג' קלוני אמל קלוני
ג'ורג' קלוני אמל קלוני
George and Amal Clooney
(Photo: Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images)
Rumors suggest that, as with Oprah, Harry and Meghan had no prior relationship with the Clooneys before the wedding. “Just like with Oprah, there was simply outreach from the Sussexes,” one insider claimed.
Another source cast doubt on that version, saying: “As far as I know, Amal and Meghan knew each other through a private members club at Soho House, but they weren’t especially close.”
Unlike Winfrey, however, Amal’s relationship with Markle reportedly became more involved. In 2018, shortly after the wedding, the Sussexes enjoyed a secret three-day vacation at George and Amal’s estate in Italy.
In February 2019, Amal and Markle were photographed together at the duchess’s baby shower in New York. George and Amal reportedly flew Markle on their private jet, while Serena Williams covered the hotel and other luxuries.
“Gifts like these are completely normal from Harry and Meghan’s perspective,” a source claimed. “Everyone is aware that financial concerns trouble them, and those problems only grew after Netflix and Spotify distanced themselves from them. They demand huge resources be invested in them, believe it’s a privilege to be in their company and are convinced they deserve private flights.”
Another source summarized Markle in a single sentence: “She’s the stingiest woman there is.”

'The Clooneys want nothing to do with Harry and Meghan'

That friendship also reportedly ended. A source close to the Sussexes said: “The Clooneys want nothing to do with Harry and Meghan.”
Harry and Meghan, notably, have never been invited to the Clooneys’ glamorous events or their annual charity fundraiser, despite the Sussexes viewing themselves as prominent humanitarians.
“George and Amal were never truly Meghan’s friends,” one source said. “They have nothing in common with her. They support the real royal family.” Indeed, George Clooney has long been a supporter of the King’s Trust, formerly Prince’s Trust. Earlier this month, George and Amal attended the organization’s 50th anniversary event.
“I’m grateful to the king for all the incredible work the trust does for young people around the world,” Amal said.
“Your Majesty, after watching your recent trip to the United States, I think I can speak for everyone here tonight when I say we are so proud that you are our king,” she added.
British actor Idris Elba — or, as many like to call him, the Sexiest Man Alive of 2018 — also reportedly distanced himself from Harry and Meghan out of loyalty to King Charles III.
9 View gallery
אידריס אלבה
אידריס אלבה
Idris Elba
(Photo: Aaron Chown - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
“Idris launched his career thanks to a £1,500 grant from Charles’ trust early on, which enabled him to join the National Youth Theatre,” one insider said. Elba has also worked with the king on a documentary about the charity, expected to be released on Netflix later this year.
“Idris once called Harry a ‘good friend,’ but he hasn’t seen them in six years,” a source said.

'Meghan thinks the Beckhams are beneath her'

The Sussexes also managed to fall out with Victoria and David Beckham, despite once being very close to them.
“The Beckhams were thrilled to attend Harry and Meghan’s wedding,” one insider said. “Harry and David first met in 2012 while supporting England’s bid to host the World Cup.”
According to the source, the growing distance between Harry and David stemmed from Markle’s dismissive attitude.
“Meghan thinks the Beckhams are beneath her,” the insider claimed.
If that were not enough, “Meghan accused Victoria of leaking stories about her to the press,” a claim that reportedly infuriated David. It is worth noting that Victoria helped the Sussexes decorate Frogmore Cottage in 2019. Over the years, David remained close to Harry’s older brother, Prince William, and grew even closer to King Charles — relationships that, according to rumors, Markle did not appreciate.
Some speculate this may have led the Sussexes to recommend their attorney — who represented them in disputes with the royal family — to Brooklyn Beckham, the eldest son of David and Victoria.
“This isn’t about repairing their reputation, but correcting the situation and fighting misinformation,” a source close to Brooklyn and his wife Nicola Peltz Beckham insisted. Regarding the decision to hire the attorney who had represented Harry and Meghan, the source said it was merely coincidence.
“There’s no connection to Harry and Meghan. It’s a respected law firm with many clients,” the source said. Not everyone was convinced — apparently including Victoria and David Beckham themselves.
9 View gallery
ויקטוריה ודיוויד בקהאם
ויקטוריה ודיוויד בקהאם
Victoria and David Beckham
(Photo: Scott A. Garfitt/Invision/AP)
Even Serena Williams, once one of Markle’s closest friends, has reportedly taken a step back.
“Serena is still on good terms with her and Harry, but she’s simply exhausted by all the drama surrounding them,” a source said.
Then there is Jessica Mulroney, Markle’s stylist and once her closest friend, whose relationship with the duchess also fell apart. In 2020, Mulroney was accused of racism after allegedly behaving aggressively and threatening to damage the career of blogger Sasha Exeter.
“I’m so used to being transparent on this platform, but today I’m opening up about something that has haunted me,” Exeter wrote at the time. “I felt it was complete hypocrisy after fighting for racial equality and using my voice here, while allowing a white woman to silence me behind closed doors. I know I’m taking a risk and opening myself up to criticism, bullying and consequences that may affect my work, but I have to speak my truth. I would bleed to death if my daughter ever had to face such ignorance.”
Throughout the controversy, Mulroney reportedly remained supportive of Meghan, though the duchess may have forgotten that.
“Mulroney quickly called Meghan to warn her and update her immediately after the incident,” one source said, adding that the conversation between the two women was cold and tense.
“Meghan is horrified she got dragged into this mess,” another source claimed. “She keeps saying Jessica isn’t racist, but the way she handled the issue was heartbreaking.” The source added that “Meghan can no longer continue being her friend.”
Even Markle’s supposedly “good friends” from the hit series “Suits” have distanced themselves. Patrick J. Adams, who played Markle’s on-screen love interest Mike Ross, said he “was never really in touch with her.” Gina Torres, who played Jessica Pearson, similarly said Markle was never part of the cast’s WhatsApp group and never shared her phone number.
The only cast member still reportedly close to the duchess is Abigail Spencer.
9 View gallery
מייגן מרקל פטריק ג'יי אדמס
מייגן מרקל פטריק ג'יי אדמס
Meghan and Patrick J. Adams
(Photo: Gettyimages)
And who has remained in contact? The surprising answer is Elton John, largely because of his loyalty to the late Princess Diana, who was one of his closest friends.
“He’s only in touch with Harry and tries to have as little contact with Meghan as possible,” one source said.
9 View gallery
אלטון ג'ון
אלטון ג'ון
Elton John
(Photo: Gettyimages)
In the end, Meghan may continue projecting a warm and welcoming image to the world, but behind the smiles and carefully polished messaging lies a reality that raises more than a few questions.
When the Beckhams, the Clooneys, the “Suits” cast and other famous names all seem to find their way out of the couple’s inner circle, it is difficult not to wonder whether the moment will come when Prince Harry wakes up — or perhaps when Duchess Meghan realizes something simply is not working.
Either way, the circle of people who remain close to the Sussexes for the long term appears to be growing smaller and smaller.
First published: 22:28, 05.22.26
Comments
The commenter agrees to the privacy policy of Ynet News and agrees not to submit comments that violate the terms of use, including incitement, libel and expressions that exceed the accepted norms of freedom of speech.
""