אלפי אנשים בהופעה של עומר אדם בניגוד להנחיות
Concert staged by singer Omer Adam earlier this week that was attended by 12,000 people
Photo: Omri Silver
Prof. Nachman Ash during press briefing with Dr. Alroi-Preis

Health Ministry DG slams Israel's virus cabinet over advice snub

Prof. Nachman Ash tells Ynet the Health Ministry on multiple occasions recommended to ministers to limit public gatherings, but the government is influenced by 'practical considerations'; says vaccine drive in schools will initially be limited in scope

Adir Yanko, Alexandra Lukash |
Published: 08.31.21, 13:12
Health Ministry Director General Prof. Nachman Ash on Monday slammed Israel's coronavirus cabinet, accusing it of snubbing recommendations of health officials due to "other considerations".
  • Follow Ynetnews on Facebook and Twitter

  • Prof. Ash told Ynet despite the decline in the R number (the number of people that one infected person will pass on a virus to), the national infection rate is still exceptionally high. Earlier, the Health Ministry reported that nearly 11,000 people had tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday, breaking the single-day caseload record.
    2 צפייה בגלריה
    מסיבת עיתונאים במשרד הבריאות
    מסיבת עיתונאים במשרד הבריאות
    Prof. Nachman Ash during press briefing with Dr. Alroi-Preis
    (Photo: Amit Shaabi)
    He also for the first time admitted that the Health Ministry's recommendations to limit public gatherings have been on multiple occasions rejected by the coronavirus cabinet.
    "I think epidemiologically this is not correct [not to limit gatherings] and it can increase infections, but there are other considerations that are practical," he said.
    "The Health Ministry has called to restrict large gatherings - such as huge concerts that are sometimes attended by those who don't observe the mask mandate - but this recommendation was not accepted."
    He said the proposal was made during Monday's meeting but once again was snubbed.
    2 צפייה בגלריה
    אלפי אנשים בהופעה של עומר אדם בניגוד להנחיות
    אלפי אנשים בהופעה של עומר אדם בניגוד להנחיות
    Concert staged by singer Omer Adam earlier this week that was attended by 12,000 people
    (Photo: Omri Silver)
    "In the end there is a discussion with a lot of people with different opinions, and you cannot expect all positions to be accepted. Even though we would like everything we propose to be accepted."
    He also revealed the vaccination campaign will begin in schools on September 1, but initially the drive be held in a limited format, in only 50 educational facilities.
    Prof. Ash added the reason for the limited scope of initial vaccination campaign in schools is because it is done by private companies hired by the state. "It will not be done by HMOs, but by other companies - led by the Home Front Command."
    Talkbacks for this article 0