Miracle baby defies odds, leaves hospital after lengthy battle for his life

Dr. Omer Globus says the premature baby, born at 31 weeks, presented challenges beyond what the staff has encountered before, as time and again, he defied the odds

Pesach Benson, TPS|
After 80 days of battling for his life in a neonatal intensive care unit, a premature Israeli baby was sent home from a hospital in Ashdod on Monday.
<< Follow Ynetnews on Facebook and Twitter >>
More Stories:
“The resilience and determination shown by [the baby] proves that miracles exist in this world,” said Dr. Omer Globus, director of neonatology at the Assuta Ashdod Hospital.
2 View gallery
Yuval and Amir Ganeh with their baby and the hospital staff
Yuval and Amir Ganeh with their baby and the hospital staff
Yuval and Amir Ganeh with their baby and the hospital staff
(Photo: Assuta Ashdod Public Hospital)
The story began two and a half months ago, when Yuval Ganeh and her husband, Amir, anxiously rushed to Assuta. Yuval noticed a lack of fetal movement in her 31st week of pregnancy. Doctors discovered that the fetus was in distress and performed an emergency cesarean section delivery.
The baby, who has not yet been given a name, suffered from a severe form of pulmonary immaturity, which occurs when a newborn’s lungs are not sufficiently developed to provide for the body’s oxygen needs. The baby also had pulmonary hypertension, a condition that affects the blood vessels in the lungs and is characterized by high blood pressure.
Immediately after the surgery, Baby Ganeh was transferred to the hospital’s neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) for critical treatment and close monitoring. During the initial days, the medical team faced an uphill battle while his condition teetered between life and death. There were several instances when his parents were called to bid farewell. Miraculously, their son managed to overcome each crisis.
2 View gallery
 Assuta Ashdod Hospital
 Assuta Ashdod Hospital
Assuta Ashdod Hospital
(Photo: Gadi Kabalo)
After about two weeks, Baby Ganeh’s condition began to stabilize, offering a glimmer of hope to his parents and the medical staff.
Baby Ganeh will require respiratory assistance and continued medication, but doctors believe that, as he grows stronger, the medical intervention will eventually become unnecessary.
“Throughout our time in the hospital, we felt as if we were on an emotional roller coaster,” said Yuval and Amir, residents of Kiryat Gat.
“Today, we leave these hospital gates with our son, having triumphed over adversity. It was not an easy journey, and our baby faced near-death experiences, but thanks to the medical team – true messengers from heaven – we are smiling today and expressing our heartfelt gratitude,” they said.
Hospital staff also celebrated Baby Ganeh’s release.
“This premature baby, born at 31 weeks, presented challenges beyond what we have encountered before,” said Globus. “Time and again, he defied the odds, proving to us that our dedication and hard work pay off. We have great expectations for his future, and I am honored to have played a role in this magical journey.”
The commenter agrees to the privacy policy of Ynet News and agrees not to submit comments that violate the terms of use, including incitement, libel and expressions that exceed the accepted norms of freedom of speech.