Palestinian killed by troops after attempted stabbing attack near Jerusalem

Border Police's undercover unit say they were conducting searches for illegal weapons in the village of Aqab near Jerusalem, when Muhammad al-Shaham tried to attack the troops with a knife; local residents hurl stones and objects at the force
Elisha Ben Kimon, Haim Goldich|
A Palestinian man was shot dead after attempting to stab Israeli troops during raids early Monday in east Jerusalem, the Border Police reported.
  • Follow Ynetnews on Facebook and Twitter

  • Security forces said that the undercover unit was searching the village of Aqab for illegal weapons, and planned to search the home Muhammad al-Shaham when he attempted to attack the forces with a knife.
    3 View gallery
    חשוד ניסה לדקור מסתערבים ונוטרל
    חשוד ניסה לדקור מסתערבים ונוטרל
    Israeli troops armed vehicle, and the knife used by Palestinian terrorist
    (Photo: Israel Police)
    "As the soldiers closed in on the target, the family members came out and began to confront the soldiers, when suddenly the suspect came out holding a knife and tried to stab the soldiers who responded with gunfire - and took him down," the police said.
    The assailant then received medical treatment on the spot by the unit's paramedic and was evacuated to a mobile military clinic, where he was later pronounced dead.
    3 View gallery
    מוחמד אל שחם
    מוחמד אל שחם
    Muhammad al-Shaham
    During the raids, Palestinians threw rocks and objects from rooftops towards the troops, as can be seen in the footage released.
    The stabbing attack in Aqab comes only one day after the terror attack in Jerusalem's Old City early Sunday, in which eight people were injured.
    Footage of Palestinians throwing rocks and items from rooftops towards Israeli troops
    Two of the victims were still in serious condition, including a pregnant woman in her 30s and an American Hasiddic Jew. Both are sedated in the intensive care unit at Shaare Zedek Medical Center. Hospital officials said they were no longer in a life-threatening condition.
    The women was rushed to an emergency cesarean operation, to deliver her baby in only the 26th week of gestation.
    3 View gallery
    זירת הפיגוע
    זירת הפיגוע
    Medics at the scene of the Jerusalem terror attack
    (Photo: Reuters)
    The Palestinian terrorist, identified as 26-year-old east Jerusalem resident Amir Sidaw, turned himself in on Sunday morning. Later that day, the Jerusalem Magistrate Court remanded his arrest for nine days.
    The police was still investigating where Sidawi was in hiding in the hours between carrying out the terror attack and turning himself in.
    On Monday morning, Sidawi was taken for interrogation by the Shin Bet, who will investigate where he obtained his firearm and whether he was a member of a terrorist network.
    The commenter agrees to the privacy policy of Ynet News and agrees not to submit comments that violate the terms of use, including incitement, libel and expressions that exceed the accepted norms of freedom of speech.